South Hill Colored School receives an honorary marker
Chesapeake officials and the Bells Mill Historical Research and Restoration Society placed a commemorative marker at the site of the former South Hill Colored Elementary School. In operation from 1921-1964, the building was constructed with funding from Norfolk County Board of Education, the South Hill School League and the Jullius Rosenwald Fund. A park now occupies the site.
Parks and Recreation employees Gladys Jones, left, with Coordinator of Special Programs with the City of Chesapeake, Gail Bradshaw.
Chesapeake Director of Parks and Recreation Bobby Clifton, left, with former school board member Dr. James Reeves.
Chesapeake Mayor Dr. Alan Krasnoff supported the event.
Local historian and curator for the Bells Mill Historical Research and Restoration Society, Dr. E. Curtis Alexander gave an overview of the project.
From left: Elizabeth McCoy Vincent, and sisters Geraldine Hayslett Boone and Jeanette Hayslett Wallace, all former students of the school.
The marker marks the site of the former South Hill Colored Elementary School, which was closed when the desegregation of Chesapeake Schools began in 1964.
Using Downtime Wiselyby Terry Young
THE HOPE TRAP -- Different Doctorsby Jean Loxley-Barnard
HOT BUTTON: Questions! Questions!by Dr. Bill Austin
Drones in Quarantineby Terry Young
Titanic or Love Boat?by Jean Loxley-Barnard
On The Front Porch With You
The Traits That Make Us Humanby Rob Lauer
A Vision of Youth
Protecting Mans Best Friendby Breonna Loxley
Korving & Company
Financial Decision Making in a Crisisby Arie Korving CFP®